[Nix-dev] Re: How to submit nix expressions?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Nov 8 13:48:36 CET 2008

Hi Marc,

 >> I see a patch posted to this list and wonder whether I should handle
 >> the commit, but then I end up not doing it because chances are
 >> someone else is doing it at the same time, and then the effort would
 >> be wasted. It's a tricky situation that could be avoided by having an
 >> established process, a like bug tracker, that makes those
 >> responsibilities clear.
 >
 > So maybe you should grab the patch and while doing so posting a reply
 > containing the lines:
 > Takeing over the task to apply this patch :) ?

yes, I could, but it feels thoroughly unprofessional to operate that
way. Besides, there are other obstacles that cannot be solved in the
same ad hoc fashion. For instance, I also see patches posted and don't
do anything because I don't care about the package that's being patched.
I just don't feel responsible. Having an established process means
establishing responsibility.

Anyhow, judging from the way this topic is being discussed (or rather,
ignored), I suspect the time isn't right yet.

Take care,
Peter