[Nix-dev] Re: How to submit nix expressions?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Nov 7 23:11:44 CET 2008

Jeevakan Suresh writes:

 >>  (1) Just e-mail the patch or the nix file to this mailing list and
 >>      trust that someone commits it. This is what we're doing
 >>      implicitly right now.
 >
 > A lot of patches I've sent onto the list have been lost in the aether -
 > No comments (good or otherwise), and most haven't been committed.

Yes, I noticed. Every now and then I see a patch posted to this list and
wonder whether I should handle the commit, but then I end up not doing it
because chances are someone else is doing it at the same time, and then the
effort would be wasted. It's a tricky situation that could be avoided by
having an established process, like bug tracker, that makes those
responsibilities clear.

Anyhow, my impression is that Nix is in a development stage where those kind
of problems -- end-user problems -- are not perceived as central. The
consensus seems to be that Nix users should just get an SVN account and
commit. End-users don't do that, but apparently end-users aren't really the
target audience yet.

Take care,
Peter