[Nix-dev] How to submit nix expressions?

Jeevakan Suresh Jeevakan.Suresh at macquarie.com
Fri Nov 7 00:28:05 CET 2008

>  (1) Just e-mail the patch or the nix file to this mailing list and
trust
>      that someone commits it. This is what we're doing implicitly
right now.

A lot of patches I've sent onto the list have been lost in the aether -
No comments (good or otherwise), and most haven't been committed. I
think the 'send to the mailing list' approach works with larger
communities (someone always has time to look at it)

>  (2) Post the patch or the nix file to the bug tracker. This triggers
>      notification, which (hopefully) leads to the bug being assigned
to some
>      volunteer to handle the contribution. It's all very ISO-9001'ish,
but
>      the process seems to work for Gentoo.

More process, but maybe its what we need to make sure someone looks at
patches.

>  (3) Post the patch to a wiki. This is how the Emacs people collect
elisp
>      files, and it seems to work fine.

I think this would suffer from the mailing list problem - unless the
community is large most patches just won't be looked at and will
atrophy.

Another solution is to split up the nixexpr repo and give each section
an owner (like how firefox does it). That way its clear as to who you
need to bug to get a nixexpr into the store.

Cheers
Jeeva

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.