[Nix-dev] How to submit nix expressions?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Nov 6 15:48:18 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 01:45:14PM +0100, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it might be beneficial to have a regular procedure how users can contribute
> updates to the nix-pkgs tree. The following alternatives come to my mind:
>
>  (1) Just e-mail the patch or the nix file to this mailing list and trust
>      that someone commits it. This is what we're doing implicitly right now.
>
>  (2) Post the patch or the nix file to the bug tracker. This triggers a
>      notification, which (hopefully) leads to the bug being assigned to some
>      volunteer to handle the contribution. It's all very ISO-9001'ish, but
>      the process seems to work for Gentoo.
>
>  (3) Post the patch to a wiki. This is how the Emacs people collect elisp
>      files, and it seems to work fine.

(4) ask niksnut for an svn account.

Maybe we could start a policy to add

[patch] within the subject line. Then everyone who is not interested can
delete them instantly?

We don't have that high traffic yet so I don't think we have to care
about it.

I think just sending to the mailinglist is fine for now.
A lot of other big projects (git, kernel) do this and patches are
modified until everyone is satisfied. I think this is a good habit.

If we start having a "commit procedure" we should install a wiki as
well.

Sincerly
Marc