[Nix-dev] How to submit nix expressions?

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Fri Nov 14 12:56:16 CET 2008

Hi,

cyril Romain wrote:

>>  (2) Post the patch or the nix file to the bug tracker. This triggers a
>>      notification, which (hopefully) leads to the bug being assigned
>> to some
>>      volunteer to handle the contribution. It's all very ISO-9001'ish,
>> but
>>      the process seems to work for Gentoo.
>>
> pros:
>  - many open source project send patches through the bug tracker, that
> does not pollute the main ML
>  - the core team can comment the patch in the bug tracker, and teach
> newcomers (as well as people lurking bugs) what is wrong in their patches
>  - newcomers can suggested improved patches
>  - as you said more ISO-9001'ish thanks to the bug tracker (e.g. history
> of each bug/patchs)
>  - a bug tracker is well suited for that (comments, patch triages,
> context, searching capabilities, etc.)
> cons:
>  - a nix expression can stay in bug tracker for some time

Agreed, using the bug tracker is the cleanest solution.  The only downside is
that most developers currently *don't* get JIRA messages, so they won't see the
patches unless they actually look at the bug tracker.  I could configure JIRA to
send messages to nix-commits@ so that at least the people on that list get to
see them.

I could add something to the Nix homepage or the Nixpkgs manual on how to
contribute Nix expressions.