[Nix-dev] Re: some ideas to (re)organize/improve nixos

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Tue May 20 11:10:23 CEST 2008

>>>>> "Marc" == Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:

Hi,

Marc> Just a small comparison: #archlinux 368 chatters #nixos only 19
Marc> chatters..

Well, they probably also had 19 chatters at some point and that's why we
discuss how to improve nixos to get them 3680 ;)

Marc> Having more than one repository also adds some
Marc> overhead: You have to search more than one to see wether a package
Marc> is already present.

Hmm, now there are several branches like 'nixos', 'nix', 'nixpkgs'...

My idea is to reorganize the repository and create some new branches
only, i.e. everything is in the same repo and the search is done in
those branches that are referenced (enabled) in some configuration file.

Marc> A user repo can be achieved easily: You can make that happen by
Marc> adding something like

Marc>         userRepo = (getConfig [ "userRepo" ] ( pkgs: {} ) ) pkgs;

Marc> to all-packages.nix I'm already using this for ghc68extraLibs an
Marc> ghc68executables.

Yes, similar thing was done by Michael - see his local-packages 'demo'.

I know it's possible, but here I'm speaking of making it transparent to
the user to use 'common' user repo and/or to easily maintain his own.

The above is kind of hack...

Marc> I'd prefer having a nixpks manual with tips etc first before
Marc> splitting all packages.

Nothing against the manual, but here we can discuss about some roadmap
for nixos development so that becomes more clear what has to be put in
the manual - we are trying to discuss principles here, tips are useful
when the concept of stuff like organization of repos etc. is clear.

Marc> Do you think this one svn repo slows down developement?

I'll start using bzr for myself which has bzr-svn. However, I consider
that 'casual users' should be spared from using 'svn up' to update their
repo tree and they should have easy(ier) method to submit their nixos
expressions to the repository by keeping the rest of the trunk safe -
that's why I propose NUR and TUs etc.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D