[Nix-dev] Re: some ideas to (re)organize/improve nixos

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed May 21 14:04:46 CEST 2008

Hello,

Gour <gour at mail.inet.hr> writes:

> So, my proposal is to do something based on the above idea -
> re-structure the present nixos tree into 'core' trunk, kind of 'extra'
> trunk and put some not-so-important packages into kind of 'community
> trunk, plus provide 'infrastructure' for NUR (Nixos User Repo) so that
> new users can easily submit their nixos expressions in kind of
> 'unsupported' repo.

That seems like a worthy goal, but an argument in favor of the status
quo would be that NixOS has not yet reached a number of users that would
make it compelling to have separate repositories.  ;-)

(And I would understand if TU Delft folks would be reluctant to carrying
out such administrative tasks.)

> 2) nix should handle updating of the repository tree, i.e. it should be
> transparent to the user not requiring from him/her to do 'svn up'.

Agreed.  But again, ATM, (almost) all NixOS users are committers.  ;-)

And there's `nixos-checkout'.

> 3) more user-friendly & configurable installer so that user can quickly
> gt up in X with a working system

Well, everyone would like it, but contributors are rare.

Thanks,
Ludovic.