[Nix-dev] some ideas to (re)organize/improve nixos

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue May 20 10:20:46 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 08:19:33AM +0200, Gour wrote:
> Hello!
>
> In last few days I expressed some ideas about the possibility to improve
> and/or reorganize Nixos to be more user-friendly, but it seems that
> #nixos is not the best medium for such talk.
Just a small comparison:
#archlinux 368 chatters
#nixos only 19 chatters..
Having more than one repository also adds some overhead:
You have to search more than one to see wether a package is already
present.

A user repo can be achieved easily:
You can make that happen by adding something like

        userRepo = (getConfig [ "userRepo" ] ( pkgs: {} ) ) pkgs;

to all-packages.nix
I'm already using this for ghc68extraLibs an ghc68executables.

I'd prefer having a nixpks manual with tips etc first before splitting
all packages.

Do you think this one svn repo slows down developement?

Sincerly
Marc Weber