[Nix-dev] nix on windows? Is nix-svnrev a good choice ? (vs nix-1.1)

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri May 9 01:14:50 CEST 2008

Some questions I got reading the cygwin FAQ pointing to a "how to add
packages" guide:

cygwin proposes the naming scheme
nix-1.1-1 or nix-yyyymmdd-1 or such. (-1 fst releast -2 snd etc)
I thinks nix-svnrev-1 would be the best choice, do you agree?

Why using SVN revisions instead of release numbers?
some changes have extended the syntax in the past (and will in the
future if anyone starts on implementing any kind of type system..)
So this one build method can be used for all cases, do you agree?

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 06:07:06PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 03:49:38PM +0200, Marc Weber wrote:
> > What do you think about an easy to use installer on Windows?
> > Do you know a better way than creating a cygwin package?
>
> For a 32 or 64 bits binary package install it with dependencies is
> probably doable with NIX - and would be useful. I think the
> build would have to happen cross-platform from Cygwin (correct me
> here). I think it would be rather difficult to build outside Cygwin -
> as you need access to a number of GNU tools and there appear to be
> assumptions about that in the build system. And then a lot of packages
> will depend on a Unix like environment - Cygwin does handle that
> nicely.

Mmh you don't have any *nix (unix/linux) installed to run nixos, do you?
So the perfect case would be integrating the cygwin.dll stuff into the
nix windows port. And not all packages must depend on *nix tools. Eg the
whole .net system could be wrapped into expressions.. Java/Maven tools
don't need autoconf as well. Using cygwin as dependency is a nice way to
get started - don't know wether I want to take time to do more.

> I am also interested - btw - for some biology packages.
BTW what are they about? Is it easy to describe them in 2 sentences?

Marc Weber