[Nix-dev] nix on windows? Is creating a cygwin package the right way?

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Thu May 8 18:07:06 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 03:49:38PM +0200, Marc Weber wrote:
> What do you think about an easy to use installer on Windows?
> Do you know a better way than creating a cygwin package?

For a 32 or 64 bits binary package install it with dependencies is
probably doable with NIX - and would be useful. I think the
build would have to happen cross-platform from Cygwin (correct me
here). I think it would be rather difficult to build outside Cygwin -
as you need access to a number of GNU tools and there appear to be
assumptions about that in the build system. And then a lot of packages
will depend on a Unix like environment - Cygwin does handle that
nicely.

I am also interested - btw - for some biology packages.

Pj.