[Nix-dev] Info - I'm working on updating upstart

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Jul 23 01:17:00 CEST 2008

I'll let you know that I'm working on updating upstart.
(Don't want to duplicate efforts..)

The old version has been. 3.0 in the near future we'll have 3.9

The most significant chagnes:
Less environment, we need to use more absolute paths
the sleep hack is no longer required.
Instead of

        start on udev
        start on udev/started
        stop on udev/stop

we'll write
start on started udev
stop on stoppnig udev

There is or / and support, thus

        start on started udev or started xy
is valid

The NEWS file of the upstart package contains more information.

I hope that I don't make too much mistakes while converting..
I'll publish a git repository and the patches soon so that you can try
it first.

And most important: logd is disabled. Logd has been used to log job
output to a file. It has been disabled because when it dies it killed
the jobs as well.. So the only way to debug the script is using

script
        exec &> /tmp/mydebug
        [...]
script end