[Nix-dev] Info - I'm working on updating upstart

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Wed Jul 23 11:23:42 CEST 2008

Hi,

Marc Weber wrote:

> I'll let you know that I'm working on updating upstart.
> (Don't want to duplicate efforts..)
>
> The old version has been. 3.0 in the near future we'll have 3.9

I did some work on switching to 0.3.9 a few months ago (even updating the job
expressions), but I stopped because 0.3.9 lacks a feature that we depend on,
namely the ability to restart init (and make it reload its jobs) by sending it a
TERM signal.  Upstart 0.3.9 does restart, but it forgets the state of all
running jobs.  Thus you can't stop/restart previously running jobs anymore.
Clearly not a good thing.

Upstart has the ability to use inotify to see changes in the event.d directory,
but since our /etc/event.d is a symlink, I'm not sure it'll work correctly
(Upstart will probably continue to monitor the previous directory that the
symlink pointed at).

Anyway, Upstart 0.5 should be released RSN (with lots of changes), so it may not
be worth it to spend too much effort on 0.3.9.