[Nix-dev] Re: paper

Martin Bravenboer martin.bravenboer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 17:40:23 CEST 2007

Hi William & Eelco,

> > As usual... I am now lost in a spiral of building and installation issues on
> > linux. I just want to install Stratego.. but I'm using Ubuntu (a very
> > popular distro and the standard in my department) but it doesn't do RPMs and
> > it doesn't have Nix.

Most of our Stratego users on Debian/Ubuntu use a tool called 'alien'
to convert our RPMs to Debian packages. These generated Debian
packages can then be installed.

I guess you can apply this to Nix RPM as well, but you could also just
convert Stratego/XT RPMs to Debian/Ubuntu packages using alien.

And yes, having Ubuntu in the buildfarm would be nice. We still need
to figure out how to start these virtual machines from build jobs to
build RPMs and other kinds of packages. Unfortunately, RPMs have been
disabled for quite a while now in our buildfarm.

--
Martin Bravenboer