[Nix-dev] Re: paper

Eelco Visser eelcovis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 17:14:31 CEST 2007

Hi William,

I have a bold idea ...

I switched to Ubuntu a couple of months ago. Before that I was using
Fedora Core 6, an rpm based distribution. I had installed nix on a
separate partition, so it survived the change of distributions, and
happily kept working. Since, as you have noted, there is no debian
distribution for Nix yet, I wouldn't know how to upgrade. (This is the
problem of deploying a deployment system with another deployment
system.) So I will start lobbying to include ubuntu in our buildfarm.
But that is of little help for you now, in the short term.

So here is the bold plan: If I could give you a copy of my /nix
directory, you wouldn't have any installation problems. At least we
could try it. Indeed, I have just made a tarball of my /nix dir and
uploaded it to my public_html dir:

  http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~eelco/nix.tar.gz

This should be unpacked in /nix

The only problem is that I have not included the /nix/store directory
since that is some 6GB. So I'm pretty sure this is going to cause a
problem with the database in /nix/var, since that now expects a store
filled with stuff.

Maybe one of the nice people at nix-dev can tell you how to reset the
database? More generally, all state information (profiles, derives,
...) should be deleted.

-- Eelco