[Nix-dev] Re: paper

Eelco Dolstra eelco at cs.uu.nl
Wed Jun 27 18:09:07 CEST 2007

Eelco Visser wrote:

> The only problem is that I have not included the /nix/store directory
> since that is some 6GB. So I'm pretty sure this is going to cause a
> problem with the database in /nix/var, since that now expects a store
> filled with stuff.
>
> Maybe one of the nice people at nix-dev can tell you how to reset the
> database? More generally, all state information (profiles, derives,
> ...) should be deleted.

"rm -rf /nix/var/nix/db /nix/var/nix/profiles; mkdir /nix/var/nix/db
/nix/var/nix/profiles" should pretty much do the trick.

>> have to build it. But then I start getting lots of inscrutable errors
>> from
>> the compilation, like "The C++ preprocessor /lib/cpp fails the sanity
>> check... see config.log for more detials".

This is usually a sign that you don't have GCC (fully) installed.  The C
preprocessor is (I think) always installed in default installs of systems like
Ubuntu or Mac OS X, but the actual C/C++ compiler (or the header files, etc.) isn't.

--
Eelco Dolstra | http://www.cs.uu.nl/~eelco