[Nix-dev] Auto-generated expressions for applications

Benno Fünfstück benno.fuenfstueck at gmail.com
Wed May 31 18:22:52 CEST 2017

Profpatsch <mail at profpatsch.de> schrieb am Mi., 31. Mai 2017 um 16:01 Uhr:

> On 17-05-31 08:25am, Benno Fünfstück wrote:
> > A package set
> > is a consistent set of packages of a given language.
>
> exactly that is not possible with e.g. npm or golang packages.

Yes, those should be dealth with differently. Is sharing of deps between
different applications in these languages common? (sorry, i'm not very
familar with either)

Otherwise, I think a rust-like approach is best for these langs: split the
build phase of applications into "fetch" and "build", where "fetch" has
network access and produces some deterministic output, and "build" then
uses "fetch" to build the package. Dependencies are built in the same
derivation as the application. This means that our build process does not
need any upstream-unsupported solutions. If the package manager does not
support this two-way build, then we should work with upstream to get that
feature supported.