[Nix-dev] Disappearing X session on some systems

Evan Rowley rowley.evan at gmail.com
Sat May 27 17:57:41 CEST 2017

Has anyone left their NixOS machine running for awhile, come back to it,
and saw a console on tty7 where X used to be running? I experience this
when I leave two of my NixOS systems alone for awhile. Both are using Gnome
3. It affects my ThinkPad E465 which is running an AMD A10-8700P & Radeon
R6 M340DX. It also affects my SuperMicro SYS-7038A-i with Intel Xeon CPUs
and Nvidia 8800 GT graphics. It never happens while I'm using these, just
only when I've left them alone for a while - like overnight, for example. I
have not seen this behavior on my NixOS ThinkPad T420 with Intel i5-2520M
and integrated graphics. I realize that the T420 is relatively mature in
Linux support & things working well is somewhat expected - but a crashing X
session seems to be abnormal, even for hardware that's less tested. One
major difference between the T420 and the other systems is the T420 is
using integrated graphics while the other systems are using dedicated
graphics cards - which is why I listed out the cards here. If anyone knows
of ongoing issues with NixOS/X/graphics which could be related, how it
further investigate the issue, ideas on a fix, or is experiencing the same
kind of issue - please reply. :)

--
 - EJR