[Nix-dev] nixops: Deploying from macOS

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Fri May 26 12:38:56 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have finally switched my laptop to using nix-daemon and got bitten by
https://github.com/NixOS/nixops/issues/260 (and/or
https://github.com/NixOS/nixops/issues/483).

To be honest, I am completely lost. Could someone please explain to me what
is going on here?

1. The error that I get is this one:

> error: a ‘x86_64-linux’ is required to build
‘/nix/store/cm2y0hlgv6dpcyzf022ih1b0qwh3x5n7-etc-logind.conf.drv’, but I am
a ‘x86_64-darwin’

Why on Earth is Linux needed to build _config files_? Building configs is
mostly echoing, right? Who exactly tells nix that `environment.etc` files
require a certain platform to be built? Maybe we could fix that?

2. How is this all related to nix-daemon? `nixops/deployment.py` checks for
`os.environ.get('NIX_REMOTE') != 'daemon'`, why does it do this? Is that
because `NIX_BUILD_HOOK` does not work when using nix-daemon? What’s that
whole story with `NIX_REMOTE_SYSTEMS` and ssh keys really about? Why are
there no issues with ssh keys when we I do not use nix-daemon? Why copying
something manually helps?