[Nix-dev] glibc issues from a proprietary binary distributed as an RPM

Peter Jones mlists at pmade.com
Thu May 25 20:19:46 CEST 2017

I find myself in the (sickening) position of needing to use a
closed-source tool on NixOS.  I have an overlay package that almost
works.  After using patchelf, most of the binaries seem to work.  But
one of them is being a pain:

    JLinkGDBServer: relocation error: JLinkGDBServer: symbol , version
    GLIBC_2.2.5 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

The collective wisdom of the web suggests this might have something to
do with the binary using symbols from libc that are not in my version of
glibc.  As far as I can tell the company that makes this just has an RPM
with no system requirements so I can't tell which glibc I should be
using.  Also, strace wasn't much help here either.

I would love some help figuring this out.  The derivation that I'm
working on can be found here:

    https://github.com/pjones/nixpkgs-jlink

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com