[Nix-dev] confusing rollback / generation system

Stefan Huchler stefan.huchler at mail.de
Fri May 19 00:40:22 CEST 2017

Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> writes:

> Oh, you mean the system-wide profile?  (i.e.
> /nix/var/nix/profiles/system)  That's the root's profile.  If you use
> `nix-env` as root, it will operate on that by default.  You typically
> need elevated privileges, but it's probably possible to change
> permissions of that directory...

At least for --list-generations operation that is not true tested on 2
machines. I have to set the system-directory parameter to get access to
it.

bash-4.4# nix-env --list-generations
  16   2017-01-10 09:28:31   (current)

bash-4.4# nix-env --list-generations -p /nix/var/nix/profiles/system
  71   2017-04-02 20:01:34
  72   2017-04-23 15:36:07   (current)