[Nix-dev] still waiting for https://cache.nixos.org after 5 seconds...

Denis denis at camfex.cz
Mon May 8 13:46:02 CEST 2017

Eelco said few days ago in another thread of this mailing list that
only EU and US endpoints are enabled on Cloudfront CDN due to higher
cost of the rest of the world.

Also, despite all the buzzwords and 9999, any single provider is a
single point of failure (and as we know from the news the failures
used to happen on Amazon). Another single point of failure is DNS of
"nixos.org".

I really do not understand the reasons of the strong opposition to
another mirror on Cloudflare (free of cost, although it may not solve
the problem completely - it has no endpoint in Vietnam, for example -
it may increase availability and reduce Amazon bills) and to allowing
the people in regions to host mirrors (it should not be a security
breach as the packages are cryptographic signed).