[Nix-dev] NixOS and nix 1.12

Kevin Cox kevincox at kevincox.ca
Tue May 9 23:41:06 CEST 2017

On 09/05/17 21:03, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> On 05/09/2017 12:46 PM, Tomasz Czyż wrote:
>> Actually, wouldn't be great if we transfer that functions over a time
>> rather than doing big bang?
>
> I'm not really involved in the development of Nix, but I don't think the
> old interface will go away with 1.12 already.  So far it's been a
> separate "nix" command that didn't clash with the rest, I think, and I
> don't know any reason to remove the old CLI too quickly.

I agree, I think it would be best to keep the old commands as-is, and
slowly add functionality to the new command. I think that mapping the
old commands into the new one just creates a second inconsistent method
to call them that we will also have to eventually discourage.

Doing it this way keeps only two interfaces, the old insonsistent ones
(nix-*), and the new consistent and well thought out one (nix).