[Nix-dev] The .nixpkgs/config.nix file and user configuration

John Ramsden ramsdenj at shaw.ca
Thu May 4 08:12:45 CEST 2017

On Wed, May 3, 2017, at 10:33 PM, Kamil Chmielewski wrote:
> Hi John,
> you could find my https://github.com/kamilchm/.nixpkgs helpfull.
> I use config.nix to manage user pacakges and dofiles and link them
> into ~ with simple script
> https://github.com/kamilchm/.nixpkgs/blob/master/install.sh> Best regards,
> Kamil

This was one of the examples I actually found in my searching.  I was
planning on integrating some of your ideas into my configuration.
I was more looking for an explanation of how config.nix and profile.nix
works though.
I guess what I'm getting from this, if I'm understanding correctly, is
that if I want to manage my packages in this way I need to wrap them in
a function that installs all of the packages as a package.
Also, that there's no way to do configuration on a per-user basis.

---

Regarding my comment about not wanting to use nix-env, what I meant is I
don't like to install packages from the shell on a per package basis, it
makes me feel like I don't know what exactly is on the system. I like
having the configuration be as close to what is in my /etc/nixos/ files.
I was hoping there was a way to do the equivalent on a per user basis
when I run nixos-rebuild, it sounds like that is in the works.  What
does the expected date look like for nixup?