[Nix-dev] The .nixpkgs/config.nix file and user configuration

Roger Qiu roger.qiu at matrix.ai
Wed May 3 17:51:05 CEST 2017

Here's some links for reference:

* https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/1750

* https://github.com/sheenobu/nix-home

*
http://sandervanderburg.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/managing-user-environments-with-nix.html

*
https://www.reddit.com/r/NixOS/comments/5hd8ok/how_to_handle_nixos_and_i3_config_files/

I like to think of a nix-shell as a messy stateful environment to
install all sorts of things, and a user-profile as a slightly less messy
stateful environment. It's like the IO monad of Nix. So right now you
can use config.nix to install and rebuild packages, while using other
ways to manage config files.

Note that there are many parts of the OS that is still not completely
declarative and pure-functional even when using configuration.nix. But
it's better than nothing.

--
Founder of Matrix AI
https://matrix.ai/