[Nix-dev] The .nixpkgs/config.nix file and user configuration

John Ramsden ramsdenj at shaw.ca
Wed May 3 08:29:20 CEST 2017

I've been looking for some information about how exactly the
$HOME/.nixpkgs/config.nix file works. How exactly is it intended to be
used? Up until now I've been managing my entire system from /etc/nixos,
but it would be nice to have a place where I can add something that
happens only to a single user. For example, setting up dotfiles, or use
our services. Can the config.nix file be used for that? Is it
effectively a /etc/nixos/configuration.nix that is intended to be used
for a single user?

I have found little bits of information about it here and there, for
example in the nix pills. but nothing that really explains what it is
used for in detail. Could someone point me where I can find this
information?

--
   John Ramsden