[Nix-dev] Suggestion: programs are *always* in the path

Sergiu Ivanov sivanov at colimite.fr
Mon May 1 12:20:04 CEST 2017

Hello,

Thus quoth  regivanx at gmail.com  at 09:55 on Mon, May 01 2017:

> If you enter a command, you want to run it.
>
> If the corresponding program is not installed, the command is a symbolic
> link to a script that says:
>
> _ download the program and its dependencies,
> _ install it,
> _ run it.
>
> The speed of installation and execution is optimal because the script
> already knows what to download and install.

What about executables provided by multiple packages?

What about typos?  I sometimes type dc (calculator) instead of cd, but I
don't have nor want to have dc on my machine.

What about a script myScript I wrote which happens to have the same name
as an executable provided by a package, and which I erroneously tried to
run using myScript directly, instead of typing ./myScript?

Note that typing commands in a local command line is a use case quite
different from typing URLs in a browser: the commands are way shorter
and the risk of confusion is much higher.

--
Sergiu