[Nix-dev] Problem compiling a rust program without fetchFromGitHub

Christian Kauhaus kc at flyingcircus.io
Wed Mar 22 16:03:22 CET 2017

Am 22.03.2017 um 11:43 schrieb Moritz Ulrich:
> I agree. The versions etc. in Cargo.toml are equivalent. The only source
> should be some impurities caused by stuff being added which isn't
> fetched (or is sanitized after fetching) from Github, *especially* if it
> works with the same `depsSha256`.

I got it. The error message mentioned at the start of this thread get thrown when a fetchdeps derivation with a matching depsSha256 exists in the Nix store but does not satisfy the requirements from Cargo.lock.

I think the fix is not too complicated: put a hash of Cargo.lock into the derivation name, so that Nix must instantiate always a new derivation if Cargo.lock's content has changed. The supplied fixed output hash in then only used for verification and not as content locator.

Side question: does anyone know the reason for using the timestamp of Cargo.lock as SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH? Why not fix SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH to 1?

Regards

Christian

--
Dipl-Inf. Christian Kauhaus <>< · kc at flyingcircus.io · +49 345 219401-0