[Nix-dev] The Church of Suckless NixOS is looking for followers

Lukas Epple post at lukasepple.de
Sat Mar 18 18:42:37 CET 2017

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 11:20:00AM +0000, Jan Malakhovski wrote:
> - Don't PR our changes to nixos subtree (a waste of time)

I think this is childish, or even dangerous.

What I see in this, is the following: A lot of “we know things better
and nobody can appreciate or realize that”. You got to recognize though,
that, if you actually know thing better, chances are, that you are wrong.
Most likely you are just not communicating properly to others.

Instead of wasting your time on a NixOS fork, just build an abstraction
over *any* init/daemon management system (so atm systemd, openrc, runit,
sinit, …) and get it into NixOS upstream for great good. Just looking at
the wonderful abstraction NixOS has already given us, I am sure, that it
is indeed possible to incorporate two very different approaches to Linx
distribution architecture into NixOS.

Cheers, sternenseemann

PS: Also, if you indeed want to fork NixOS, it seems kinda inappropiate to
advertise your fork here.