[Nix-dev] The Church of Suckless NixOS is looking for followers

Mayeu m at mayeu.me
Sat Mar 18 12:04:34 CET 2017

> (4) implement
>
> ~~~~
> {
>  # use OpenRC instead of systemd
>  system.initd = "openrc";
> }
> ~~~~

I would love to see that in upstream, independence from systemd will open the door to have some kind of NixBSD and other fun stuff like that. (No longer than 3 days ago there was a discussion for GSOC to have a project to make NixOS + freebsd).

And besides, since I am following NixOS I have always heard that one of the long-term goal would be to abstract away from systemd.

> * Some of us want to drop GRUB in favor of running on top of minimal
>  Xen payload on Coreboot firmware and isolate everything like in
>  QubesOS, but we are not united on that point at this point. (Yes, we
>  are aware of Heads:ROM, thank you, we are discussing all of this.)

Again, there are regular discussions in multiple space to have some kind of Qubes OS + Nix merge (or related) [1][2][3][4]. Note that Qubes uses SaltStack [5] to have some kind of declarative VM management. Nix would be a really nice improvement over that.

[1] Qubes OS ML: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-devel/QDM2YNdWdXI <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-devel/QDM2YNdWdXI>
[2] Harden(ed) NixOS issue reference Qubes multiple time: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/7220 <https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/7220>
[3] Package MirageOS for NixOS: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/23955 <https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/23955>
[4] Trying to run NixOS in a Qubes VM: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/21402 <https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/21402>
[5] Qubes OS SaltSack doc: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/salt/ <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/salt/>

All of that would be awesome for NixOS :)

--
Mayeu a.k.a Matthieu
http://mayeu.me <http://mayeu.me/>