[Nix-dev] Gnome 3.22 hit master

Alexander Ried groxxda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:12:10 CEST 2016

> Hm, using Wayland instead of X11 sounds like a fairly major architectural
> change for NixOS, akin to switching the init system.  [...]

GDM defaults to wayland if it's available. Since our default is to build
the packages with wayland support, GDM will use it unless explicitly
configured not to.
I agree that a general switch is a major change and should be planned and
I'd be more than happy to help with this. I have some ideas about what a
restructured graphical module (currently services.xserver) should look like
but given the variety of configurations this certainly needs community
feedback and consensus. If someone has an idea how to start this process
please let me know.

> [...] AFAIK, Wayland support in
> NixOS is experimental and we've never made a conscious decision on
> switching to
> Wayland. [...]

The reason I opted for wayland in GDM was simply because it's the default
and my time is limited.
I know this may impose problems for users (for example keymap settings!)
but we have time until 17.3 and in my opinion someone using unstable should
be aware of the risks.
If it turns out that gdm on wayland is currently absolutely unwanted, I
think it can be made to use X. Reverting the module and defaulting to 3.20
is of course an option.

> [...] Has there been any discussion about this?

I asked for comments concerning the wayland usage in
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/19081#issuecomment-251256745 but
there was no discussion.