[Nix-dev] New Tex Live Packaging: Installing Libertine Fonts

Sergiu Ivanov sivanov at colimite.fr
Sun Mar 13 00:03:27 CET 2016

Thus quoth  Vladimír Čunát  at 12:33 on сб, бер 12 2016:
> On 03/12/2016 12:09 PM, Sergiu Ivanov wrote:
>> If I add the lines
>>
>>   texlive.combine {
>>     inherit (texlive) scheme-full;
>>   };
>>
>> to my configuration.nix, I am supposed to get a full TeX Live
>> distribution, right?
>
> Yes. We used to have a bug that wouldn't allow this due to it being too
> many thousands of packages, but that should be fixed for months IIRC.

Yeah, I had no problem installing everything.  It was even faster than
what I expected after your phrase about "many thousands of packages" ;-)

> This `combine` style with attr-maps is a rather non-standard approach
> that I just created somehow for texlive.

It looks pretty cool in that it allows you to define package schemes you
want to install, and it's probably not its only advantage.  Thanks for
the great work :-)

>> Is there a way to do that in my user profile using nix-env? Something
>> like nix-env -i "texlive.combine { ... }"?
>
> Typically we add `-A attr-name` (instead of common names); here one
> would have to use `-E expression`. More details are in docs, e.g. `man
> nix-env` or in html.

Thank you!  The command

  nix-env -i -A 'nixos.pkgs.texlive.combined.scheme-full'

has pulled the full distribution, including the version of Linux
Libertine which solves my issues with small caps.

However, in order to make fontconfig see the installed fonts, I had to
manually add the line

 <dir>~/.nix-profile/share/texmf/fonts/</dir>

to my ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf.  I suppose, this directory would
have been registered in the global /etc/fonts/fonts.conf had I installed
texlive via my configuration.nix?

--
Sergiu