[Nix-dev] Open source team messaging: mattermost

Jonn Mostovoy jm at memorici.de
Tue Mar 8 13:32:53 CET 2016

Dear Wout,

you can't grep discord. Search there is atrocious.
Slack, on the other hand has an amazing full text search engine, which is a
huge part in its success.
However, as search over slack has some heuristics, when I need plain dumb
(or pretty elaborate) grep, I can't run it over history of Slack.

Picking the tool is about engineering tradeoffs. Right now, IRC is optimal
given optimization parameters, starting from not sharding the community,
going through network resilience and system's fault tolerance, ending with
the degree of democracy IRC provides.