[Nix-dev] Tool: Better code search on NixOS/*

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 08:25:22 CET 2016

On 03/04/2016 04:00 AM, Graham Christensen wrote:
> I frequently try to find where a particular package is declared, or
> patches, or other slightly more complicated search queries than GitHub
> will support.

A couple of ways you may not know, and it might be good to post them
publicly:

1.
$ cd my/nixpkgs && nix-repl .
nix-repl> clang.meta.position
"/path/to/my/nixpkgs/pkgs/build-support/cc-wrapper/default.nix:274"

2.
We have ctags wrapped with simple regexp that indexes simple 'foo ='
bindings. That has the advantage of integrating smoothly with many editors.

Happy searching!
--Vladimir