[Nix-dev] Tool: Better code search on NixOS/*

Graham Christensen graham at grahamc.com
Fri Mar 4 04:00:59 CET 2016

Hey Nixers,

I frequently try to find where a particular package is declared, or
patches, or other slightly more complicated search queries than GitHub
will support.

I've been running Hound (https://github.com/etsy/hound) on my server for
a few weeks now, and it does a really nice job.

You can find it here: http://search.nix.gsc.io/
Here is finding where clang is defined via the search `clang =`:
http://search.nix.gsc.io/?q=clang%20%3D

Compare this to GitHub's nearly useless results:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/search?q=clang

It indexes all the repositories on NixOS, updating every 30 seconds,
excluding the following:

  - https://github.com/NixOS/nixos.git
  - https://github.com/NixOS/systemd.git
  - https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs-channels.git
  - https://github.com/NixOS/nixops-dashboard.git
  - https://github.com/NixOS/nixos-foundation.git

Anyway, I hope someone else finds this useful.

Best,
Graham Christensen

PS:

I could open source the module to do this if someone wanted me to, it is
fairly simple.

The server it is on is a bit small, but other than traffic spikes it
works quite quickly. If people use it a lot, I'd be happy to pay for a
larger server.