[Nix-dev] Commit access

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Tue Mar 1 00:17:25 CET 2016

>What does concern me slightly, is the number of merge commits, that I see
>in master. Those are usually created by just pressing the merge button.
>When actually reviewing stuff, people tend to locally rebase/apply, test to
>various stages, and then push. In github, this is visible by "commited
>with" commits.
>So if there is a problem with "loose cannons" (maybe maintainers can speak
>to that), this could be solved by restricting access to master, or by
>creating multiple upstream branches for various stages of review like
>"looks good, press merge", "merged locally, nixpkgs evaluates,
>configurePhase doesn't crash", "built and tested in vm with package
>*installed*", "tested referrers" and require maintainers to only push to
>those branches when conditions are met.

I usually use GitHub's merge button.

I do read the patch before; and in many cases I do know what the fallout
will be.

Yes, I do trust the submitters not to say explicit intentional lies
about whether the package builds and whether some reverse-dependency
works after a change (I have to ask sometimes).

Even if I find it reasonable to test locally, I will _not_ push from my
repo if I haven't done any changes. Why would I bother messing with Git
when Github has this button? The button is safer and rebases destroy
information.