[Nix-dev] Too many open issues

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Fri Jul 22 17:01:14 CEST 2016

On 22-07-2016 14:18:55, Damien Cassou wrote:
> Wout Mertens <wout.mertens at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > We have 1238 open issues and 286 open PRs.
> > That is just too much to reason about.
> >
> > How about using something like https://github.com/twbs/no-carrier which
> > auto-closes after 14 days of inactivity, and reopens on a new comment?
>
> I agree with you about auto-closing old issues but I think 14 days is
> way too short. For me, an issue must be automatically closed
>
> - if nobody cares enough to say either that he is impacted too or is
>   still impacted
>
> - if nobody cares enough to fix the issue
>
> There is not enough man power for nixpkgs to be bug free. Automatically
> closing issues means open issues are the ones people care about.
> Moreover, the tools auto-closing issues must warn a few days before
> closing the issue to raise awareness of the open issues.
>
> One day I closed an issue because nobody cared for months (even I didn't
> care enough even though I reported it). Someone reopened it saying that
> lack of care was not a reason to close an issue and someone else fixed
> the issue the same day. So, closing can even encourage fixing :-).

I agree with you. I wouldn't draw the line at 14 days, it is way to
short. We have sometimes unstable beeing not updated for up to 4
weeks... and I guess that should also be the line. let it be 28 days,
reporting after 25 days that the issue will be closed and another 3
until it is closed, maybe.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,