[Nix-dev] Notes and ideas about the Nix-UI proposal

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Sat Jan 23 17:59:20 CET 2016

Hi,

On 23-01-2016 17:39:09, Christian Theune wrote:

> I like the direction where this is going a lot. A big +1 from my side.

Same here.

> As a suggestion to the transactional behaviour, I’d like to avoid unnecessary shell quoting. How about “+” instead of “;"? I could imagine another non-colliding operator from the nix language, but “;” as a statement separator is going to be confusing because bash already uses it for almost the same thing.

I want to second this! Especially because "\" is kinda hard to type on german
keyboards (two strokes and a weird location of both keys, ergonomically). "+"
sounds much better.

What would be nice is a "repl"-like thing where you can do this:

    nix transaction
    > install firefox
    > uninstall chromium
    > commit  ## or maybe ctrl-D
    [nix] transaction about to be committed... doing things now

(ofc, the `nix install firefox $sep uninstall chromium` variant should be
available as well)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,