[Nix-dev] nodejs 5.x failing on darwin

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 04:44:39 CET 2016

It turns out the patch (and another one) simply wasn't needed anymore with
the new version of nodejs :)

To determine that, I ran the build with `nix-build -K`, such that when it
failed, it would leave the files in place (and tell me where it left them).
I then checked the file it claimed had failed and eyeballed the patch.
After a few glances, it appeared that the patch had already been applied
(roughly), which I assume means that someone made the change upstream.

So I took the patch out of the patch list, tried again, and got another
failed patch, this time to configure. Looked again at the failed file, this
time found there was no analog for the piece of code being patched, but
that the new logic was different enough to perhaps not warrant patching in
the same way. I took it out, rebuild, and everything seemed to work fine.

I also removed a spurious substituteInPlace from the prePatch phase, since
the text it was looking for didn't seem to exist anymore (or have anything
similar in the new file).

The result of all that is
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/5cb1e43fd6eb7f87c9b17e9dc6d1a92ae7c360a4
.

I just got a notification from Travis that it had failed, but I believe
that's due to the broken Nix 1.11 release and not anything about my change.
If you want to test, please let me know if things work for you, and if not
reopen the ticket.

-Dan