[Nix-dev] Configuring mirror sites for fetchurl

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 08:16:31 CET 2016

Hello.

On 01/02/2016 12:54 AM, Tim Williams (Public) wrote:
> When doing a "nixos-rebuild switch" for 15.09, nix wanted to download
> updated texlive sources, which are many gigabytes in size. This wouldn't
> be a problem, if the mirror site didn't default to an Australian one,
> which is a very slow choice for the where I am,  the UK.

(I'm sorry for late reply.)
I think the main point is that this monolithic TeX packaging is being
phased out in favor of a more granular one. For basic user docs see:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/release-15.09/pkgs/tools/typesetting/tex/texlive-new/default.nix#L1

The important parts of this new TeX packaging should be in our binary
caches. Mirroring of the original upstream sources is rather bad there.

--Vladimir