[Nix-dev] Best way to store strong passwords in nix configuration file

4levels 4levels at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 16:48:15 CET 2016

Hi Nix Devs,

I'm really struggling to get strong passwords correctly parsed in my nix
configuration files.  I keep getting errors about unexpected $end or
$undefined at wrong places (eg. there is no $ or ; anywhere near the
reported failure).
Deleting the passwords from the nix config file solves this, so the error
is definitely related to the contents of these strings.

I'm using a random password generator to create strong passwords, like
ETrai_5{h'aG,MQ:
I've tried writing them with double quotes, double single quotes and single
quotes, with and without escaping, all to no avail.  I also can't seem to
find a list of the characters that should be escaped (I only see " and \
and those are not in those passwords.

Do you have any tips on how to store many different strong password and use
it in nix configuration files?  I need those passwords to be in an object
structure so I can build custom config files from them.

For the record, I'm using git-crypt to prevent these files from being read
by unauthorized clients / people

Kind regards,

Erik