[Nix-dev] Perl -> C++

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 12:12:50 CET 2016

hmm I suppose the real question is who'd be willing to do this?

1) C++ only, makes nix more portable and reduces deps but adds C++ memory
model.
2) Rust adds deps, stop gapping till a long term stable port happens then
it'll be rust only.
3) Rust's windows support is still flaky (correct me pls)
4) Is nix that broken to call for a re-implementation?
5) There is enough C++ experience to maintain this project, do we have
enough willing Rust hands?

It really revolves around who's propared to sink time into this large
amount of work?
Some feel it a waste of energy, others see it as a learning opportunity.

So let's put it out there - is there enough solidarity to get a pure Rust
implementation of nix out there? If not then we kill Rust in favour of C++
for this thread?

P.S.  I'd love it if we could use Fractalide to implement Nix but now I'm
being bias!

On 2 Jan 2016 21:41, "Jakob Gillich" <jakob at gillich.me> wrote:

> Nix doesn't have to be rewritten at once; you can rewrite the Perl stuff
in Rust and call them from C++ code via a C interface[1].

I'm aware that Rust can replace Perl via FFI it's the added deps that
concern me

> This is what Mozilla does in Firefox, which is also mostly C++. So the
question should be, do we want to get rid of C++ in the long term?