[Nix-dev] Commit access

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 21:38:53 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Guillaume Maudoux (Layus)
<layus.on at gmail.com> wrote:
> But on the other hand, I like the ability to submit a pull-request that
> adds a package, a NixOS module and documentation while also bumping the
> version of some dependencies. It makes it clear that one bunch of
> changes are related.
>
> Having different repos brings the difficulty to make different
> pull-requests related to the same idea, and to convince different
> maintainers that the change is useful. At best it slows updates as the
> pull-request for the module will have to wait for the PR of the package
> to be merged. At worst, we could get inconsistent decisions about merging.

Yes, I agree, this is a serious problem with the multi-repository
layout. It will (almost inevitably) lead to loss of abstraction, which
we probably all agree would be bad. This is serious enough that I must
rescind my earlier support of this idea. Yet, the status quo is not
maintainable.

> The ability to find all the project history in one place is a tremendous
> feature for understanding and tracking issues.

Agreed.

> It should be easy enough nowadays to filter events based on the changed
> paths in a PR, or on the project/feature declared in the issue.
> I however agree that it is difficult with the minimal issue tracker
> provided by github.

One would think that should be easy. Git makes this easy with the
commit history _after_ the changes are committed, but GitHub doesn't
make this possible with PRs or issues. In fact, GitHub doesn't offer
any kind of notification filtering, not even on labels. I wish I could
propose a solution here, but it seems like all I can do is point out
the problems.

Regards,
Tom