[Nix-dev] Commit access

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 18:28:40 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Eelco Dolstra
<eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
> Then when you make a PR, you should look up the responsible maintainer and
> assign the PR to them. Having every PR assigned to somebody should also help
> prevent them from falling through the cracks.

If we split up the Nixpkgs repository, GitHub gives us this
essentially for free. The main Nixpkgs repository has too much noise
for me to subscribe to updates for Issues and Pull Requests, but it
would be no problem for me to subscribe to such updates for the subset
of repositories I maintain. Right now, Domen is doing an excellent job
of managing the Pull Request and Issue trackers, but ideally, we would
lift some of this work off him.

Now, we could easily take a hard line on Pull Request assignment by
saying, "Your pull request will not be merged if you do not assign the
correct person!" But, I don't think we want to do the same for Issues;
it should be as easy as possible to open an Issue. If we split up the
repository, it's much easier to ensure the correct people see every
issue and pull request.

Regards,
Tom