[Nix-dev] Commit access

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Mon Feb 29 17:51:10 CET 2016

>Then when you make a PR, you should look up the responsible maintainer and
>assign the PR to them. Having every PR assigned to somebody should also help
>prevent them from falling through the cracks.

I would say that making sure every part of NixPkgs and NixOS has
a maintainer distinct from Eelco Dolstra would also be useful… Because
otherwise the overload will only get worse.

Splitting the responsibilities too strictly would mean that:
1) Maintainers' responsibilities become larger than declared the
previous time any declaration on this topic happenned
2) We need to make sure that maintainership status is properly
discoverable and up-to-date, otherwise updates of things like Firefox
or LibreOffice with random dependency update requirements will take an
eternity
3) We need to have an explicit policy about updates that definitely will
break some things, because reverse-dependency maintainers need some time
to fix things before the update hits master, but if we want 100% of the
things fixed, we never get a newer glibc.