[Nix-dev] AppImage

Mateusz Czaplinski czapkofan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 22:45:23 CET 2016

Personally, after seeing the articles I also thought about Nix and how
they relate, but after some time I too now think they're rather
complementary, serving quite different needs and with different pros &
cons. Specifically, what I value very highly in Nix is the declarative
specification and ease of upgrading + downgrading. OTOH, as of now the
AppImage model seems easier for casual end-users, and for
userspace-only deployments, while NixOS is more of a
"total-conversion'' (though Nix in theory can be used userspace-only
too at the cost of full recompilations, right?). Also, as to Nix, I'm
quite excited by a potential perspective of maybe using it some day on
Windows too, as well as other platforms (esp. Genode).

/Mateusz.