[Nix-dev] Fwd: Wiki is dead

Domen Kožar domen at dev.si
Thu Feb 25 15:12:57 CET 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 24/02/16 01:14, Anderson Torres wrote:

> >> I started writing some docbook. Maybe I will get used to it but writing
> >> `<datasetlist><listitem>foobar</listitem></datasetlist>` is way more
> painful
> >> that `* foobar` in markdown. Especially in writing I think it's
> important to
> >> be able to move text around without too much overhead so that text can
> be
> >> reworked until it feels right.
>
> I don't think we should let the fact that people are overly attached to
> editor
> technology from the 1970s be the deciding factor.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DocBookEditors
>
> >> Thanks god there is pandoc so I can keep submitting docbook while
> writing my
> >> cozy markdown :)
> >
> > I think the same. Docbook is extremely verbose and full of ugly XML
> > tagging, I don't like it.
>
> I refer you to my earlier rant about markdown-like languages:
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/1960#issuecomment-37753960

I never considered that rant as valid, mainly because it's about error
handling in markup languages.

Compared to our current docbook error handling, where if you put a tag
where it should be there is no information what or where it went wrong,
markup seems like an improvement.

In any case, I'd be up for http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/ since it
has a lot of utilties for documentation we'd need.

Anyway, one day I might lack work and this is a first thing on my todo -
updating http://static.domenkozar.com/nixpkgs-manual-sphinx-exp/ and making
it better :)