[Nix-dev] Fwd: Wiki is dead

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Thu Feb 25 15:00:49 CET 2016

Hi,

On 24/02/16 01:14, Anderson Torres wrote:

>> I started writing some docbook. Maybe I will get used to it but writing
>> `<datasetlist><listitem>foobar</listitem></datasetlist>` is way more painful
>> that `* foobar` in markdown. Especially in writing I think it's important to
>> be able to move text around without too much overhead so that text can be
>> reworked until it feels right.

I don't think we should let the fact that people are overly attached to editor
technology from the 1970s be the deciding factor.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DocBookEditors

>> Thanks god there is pandoc so I can keep submitting docbook while writing my
>> cozy markdown :)
>
> I think the same. Docbook is extremely verbose and full of ugly XML
> tagging, I don't like it.

I refer you to my earlier rant about markdown-like languages:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/1960#issuecomment-37753960

> But, about documentation: what do you think on a "NixOS Handbook",
> like the FreeBSD Handbook? We can reach a wider audience if we use
> such a style of handbook.

Well, that's what the NixOS Manual is intended for.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/