[Nix-dev] On nixpkgs and reasonable code size

Adrien Devresse Adev at adev.name
Wed Feb 24 09:29:19 CET 2016

> I'm totally for that, but do note that there is an equivalent problem
> in deciding who gets "PR approval" access. But, I suppose since we
> control hydra/whatever and not github, we can roll our own logic like
> allowing people to only approve PRs for automatic merging that affect
> certain files / subtrees.

Exactly.

This is more or less what Fedora does through there fedpkg and pkgdb
interface. Fedora maintainers can merge / modify only the packages they
are associated with.

You could easily transpose this to NixOS with something like :

* Nobody has right to push master
* The maintainer of a package can merge all incoming "hydra-built" pull
requests associated with this package and nothing more.
* New packages are reviewed and merged by a list of senior Nix-devs /
maintainers for safety.

And that's it.

Again, this is nothing new. All others major distributions have a
similar workflow.

I'm convinced that the problem is more about "Who does what" than
anything else, specially when I see how active the Nix community is.

Adev