[Nix-dev] On nixpkgs and reasonable code size

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Tue Feb 23 16:12:39 CET 2016

On 23-02-2016 16:08:37, Matthias Beyer wrote:
> On 21-02-2016 15:28:08, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> > On 21 February 2016 at 15:17, zimbatm <zimbatm at zimbatm.com> wrote:
> > > tl,td; I think that we should split nixpkgs/pkgs in two
> >
> > Another way to do it is the Linux kernel way. Instead of splitting the
> > (git) repository in two (or more) pieces, split _maintenance
> > responsibility_ into a hierarchy. This is opposite to the flat
> > responsibility model NixOS development use today.
>
> I completely second this. The problem is IMHO _not_ that the repo gets big
> (there are other repos which are way, way bigger than nixpkgs) but the
> development model. AFAIK I said that before on this list. The problem is that
> everyone who wants to be a contributer gets push access to master. It just
> screams at you "I won't scale"!

Let me add: In my opinion, nobody should be able to push to master. Merging into
master should be done either automatically (by a build-bot or something like
this) or by a "merge this PR"-click in github, after some checks are succeeded
(something like CI or lgtm.co (not proposing tools here but functionality)).

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,

Proudly sent with mutt.