[Nix-dev] On nixpkgs and reasonable code size

Adrien Devresse Adev at adev.name
Mon Feb 22 10:35:31 CET 2016

> I think the inflow of PRs *is* high wrt. the number of active
> contributors with push access. Certainly too much to keep quality very
> high all the time, but on the other hand, for those less important
> packages it's not a big deal...

The way the other distributions solved this issue is by distributing the
responsabilities. A model where a little minority has to approve /
validate the merge each package modification can not scale to a huge
number of packages.

If you look at the Fedora/Debian model, each package maintainer is
responsible and has full commit access on their packages and only on
their packages.  They do not need any merge,  excepted when they
stabilize the unstable branch. This is quite similar to the way the
Linux kernel development works in this respect.

Adev~~